Tuesday, May 09, 2006

The Journey Begins

Dear Friends,

Only a week has gone by, and so much has happened! Most of our first week was spent offering care and moral support to my parents in South Carolina. My Mom is having severe back problems, and Dad is preparing to undergo chemotherapy for recurrent cancer. They have been coping by themselves for the past month, and it was time for us to go lend a hand.

As you know, while we were there, we received word that Ed Bender was failing, and subsequently, that he had died. Our grief was compounded by not being here, but I am so grateful for the fine pastoral care given by Rich Pollock. Doug and I returned by the weekend, so I was able to share in Ed's memorial service. He was a wonderful man, and a dear friend. I am so glad that we were in the area, so that I could be with Emily and the Bender family, and with our church family, during this difficult time.

Sunday morning we worshiped at Our Saviour Lutheran Church in Christiansburg, and after church, we met with their pastor, Fred Hodges, and members of their Worship and Music Committee. I think it is going to be a delightful summer, worshiping together with other Christians throughout the Southeast, and having important conversations about what we do "in church" and why.

Please continue to keep Doug and me in your prayers. We miss you!

Peace,

Linda

No comments: